Housing Benefit and Universal Credit

Tenants are entitled to Housing Benefit if their income is below the level set by the Department of Work and Pensions, however Housing Benefit is currently being phased out and most new claimants will now receive Universal Credit.

If you already receive Housing Benefit and your circumstances change for any reason, you will need to contact Fife Council to report the change as soon as possible.  You should also contact us on 01592 721 917 or email housing@orevalleyha.org.uk.

Turn2us and entitledto provide online benefits calculators to help you see any other benefits you should be claiming, and if you need more advice or help our Tenancy Support and Wellbeing Officer can help you with your claim.

If you have been told that you need to claim Universal Credit, you must do this online at GOV.UK, and the Job Centre can provide support. Please note that if you are applying for Universal Credit to cover your rent, you still have to make a claim for Council Tax Benefit from Fife Council. 

If you need to claim Universal Credit and you do not have access to the internet, we have free wifi and computers in the reception area of our office that are available for everyone to use.   Just pop in, and if you need some additional ‘digital support’ to set up a new email address, or find a more affordable gas or electricity supplier we can help you with this as well.