Warm Home Discount Scheme
2 Aug 2019
You could get £140 off your electricity bill under the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The money is not paid to you - it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill, between September and March.
There are two groups of people eligible to qualify for the Warm Home Discount Scheme and how you apply is different depending on which group you are in, either;
- you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit - known as the ‘core group’
- you’re on a low income and meet your energy supplier’s criteria for the scheme - known as the ‘broader group’
If you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, you'll qualify for the discount if on 7 July 2019 all of the following applied:
- your energy supplier was part of the scheme
- your name (or your partner’s) was on the bill
- you were getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get Savings Credit as well)
You’ll receive a letter between October and December 2019 telling you how to get the discount if you qualify. Your letter will say if you need to call a helpline by 28 February 2020 to confirm your details. Your electricity supplier will apply the discount to your bill by 31 March 2020.
If you’re on a low income, you may be able to apply directly to your electricity supplier for help if you do not get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit but:
- your energy supplier is part of the scheme
- you’re on a low income
- you get certain means-tested benefits
To get the discount you’ll need to stay with your supplier until it’s paid. Your electricity supplier decides who can get the discount - check with your supplier to see if you’re eligible and how to apply. Check with your supplier as early as possible. The number of discounts suppliers can give are limited.
If you are a Utilita customer then the application window is 7th to 14th August - visit the Utilita website for more information.
You can find out more about the Warm Home Discount Scheme at www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme