Working smoke alarms can save lives by providing you and your family with vital early warning of a fire, allowing you to Get Out, Stay Out and Call 999.
However, smoke alarms can only do this when they are working and so we'd like to encourage everyone to test their smoke alarms every week, joining in with #TestItTuesday.
Testing your smoke alarm is just the press of a button, but it could save your life. Join in with #TestItTuseday and ensure you're prepared in the event of a fire.
- Test your smoke alarms by pushing the button every Tuesday.
- Never disconnect or take the batteries out of your alarm if it goes off by mistake.
- If you have a battery operated alarm, the batteries need to be replaced every year.
- Have a pre-planned and practised escape route that everyone in the house is aware of in the event of a fire.
- In the event of a fire Get Out, Stay Out and Call 999.