Paying Rent


New Home

Housing Management

All Other FAQs  



Paying Rent FAQs


When is my rent due?

You need to pay your rent a month in advance. So for example on the 30th April you would pay May's rent and then on the 31st May for June's rent. 


Can I pay weekly or fornightly?

If you'd prefer to pay weekly or fornightly then please speak to your housing officer on 01592 721 917


How can I pay my rent?

If you have a look on the Pay Rent page you will see information on all the different ways you can pay your rent. 


I can't afford my rent this month

First thing's first, do not worry - contact us as soon as you can to let us know of your situation and we will put measures in place to help you. We understand that our tenants can sometimes be in difficult financial situations, and we will assist you in a respectful, non-judgemental manner. Our phone number is 01592 721917.


I am worried about the impact that Universal Credit will have on my financial situation

Give our housing team a call and we will be able to put you in contact with our Tenancy Support Officer, Danielle, who will assist our tenants through this transition and offer help such as budgeting advice.


What happens if I don't pay my rent?

Your tenancy agreement explains your responsibility to pay rent in advance. If you fail to do so, we have a responsibility to collect the arrears. However, we understand that things happen which can lead to you falling behind in your rent.

The most important step you can take is to get in touch with us as soon as you realise you are falling behind in your rent, so that we can look at the situation together and look at the options available. You can do this by coming to the office, or over the phone. We treat every case privately and fairly.

If you don’t take action quickly, it can lead to higher arrears and legal action, which could mean eviction.

If your arrears reach £250 and we don’t have an agreement to pay the debt in place, we will send you a formal `Notice’ that we can start court action within the next 6 months.

If after the Notice, you still do not pay anything off towards your arrears, we will ask the court for a date to have your case heard. You will get a letter telling you the date. It is vital that you get help at this stage and that you come to court to explain your situation.

You will be liable to cover the legal costs of any court action, and even if you are evicted you will be expected to pay back your arrears.


Return to top


Repairs FAQs

How long will the repair take to complete?

The time it will take for repairs to be carried out depends on how serious the repair is. All repairs are categorised into three different priority levels and the timescales for completion are as follows:

Emergency Repairs - These are serious faults which could cause a risk to health or damage to the house, e.g. burst pipes, no power. Repairs in this category should be made safe within 4 hours.
Urgent Repairs - These are repairs which are not so serious but need to be done quickly, e.g. partial loss of heat/hot water (where there is shower in the property). Urgent repairs should be done within 5 working days. Gas urgent repairs are carried out within 1 working day.
Routine Repairs - Most repairs fall into this category. This includes work like internal joiner work and external repairs. We aim to complete all routine repairs within 15 working days. Gas Routine Repairs are carried out within 5 working days.


What should I do in an Emergency Repair situation?

If you have an Emergency Repair you need to call the office on 01592 721 917 and follow the instructions to be put directly through to the correct contractor. To see what constitutes an Emergency Repair, check out our Emergency Repairs Guide.


What are Rechargeable Repairs?

These are repairs which you will have to pay for, we will not cover the cost of these.


When does a Rechargeable Repair occur?

If damage has been caused by you, or one of your guests, whether accidentally, on purpose or through neglect, then you will be charged to fix this repair. 


What if my property has been vandalised?

If your property has been vandalised, you will need to phone the police and obtain a crime reference number as soon as you find the damage. We will not charge you for repairs in this instance.


Are there any other reasons I may get charged for a repair?

  • If you call out an out-of-hours contractor for an emergency repair which is not deemed an emergency on arrival, you will be charged the contractor’s call out fee.
  • If you miss an appointment, or don’t give access to a contractor you will be charged a call-out fee.
  • Similarly, if you call out an emergency contractor, then find you no longer need that contractor, and you don’t call back up to cancel, then you will be charged this contractor’s call out fee.
  • If you lose your keys, and need a locksmith to come out and change your locks, you will be charged this cost.
  • If your drains are blocked and it is clear that you are responsible for the cause of the blockage, you will be charged for the cost of this.
  • Gas Servicing – it is our legal obligation to check your gas heating system, to ensure it is safe and not leaking the deadly gas Carbon Monoxide. We must do this annually and it is vital that we are given access to your home to ensure your safety. If after 3 attempts at gaining access to your property we are still unable to, we will either cap your gas supply or we may force entry to your property, and we will charge you for the cost of doing so.


What if I’ve moved out of my old house and you’re still trying to contact me about paying for repairs?

Unfortunately you are still liable to pay for damage, amongst other things, to your Ore Valley property even if you’ve moved out. This includes the cost of getting gas and electric getting reconnected if it had been capped whilst you were a tenant, the removal of rubbish from the house, keys not being handed back or work done to the home of a poor standard which we will have to correct. Contact us on 01592 721 917 for more information if you are concerned about this.


Return to top



New Home FAQs

I would like to apply for a home, but need help with the form

If you need assistance in completing the form, or if you require large-print or other language version, give us a call on 01592 721 917 or drop us an email on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we will do our best to help.


I have special housing needs, can you help?

We have adapted a number of our houses for people with specific requirements, from wheelchair users to those with sight problems. If you have a special need, make sure you tell us about your requirements on the form.


How long will it be until I hear from you?

When you apply for social housing in Fife, you apply through the Fife Housing Register, a Common Housing Register that allows applicants to apply for social housing with Ore Valley, Fife HA, Kingdom HA, Glen HA and Fife Council. It is their central team that deals with all applications. Their team will assess your application within 20 working days, provided you have submitted all information required.


When will I be given a house?

Unfortunately, due to the number of applicants, we simply can't house all the people that apply, even if they do fulfil all our criteria. You may find that you have to go on a housing list for the type of accommodation that you want. How quickly you will be offered a home depends on a number of factors including:

  • The number of points you have
  • How your application was categorised
  • Which areas of choice and property types you have asked for
  • How many properties become available for allocation
  • Availability of size and type of property you need

It may be frustrating having to wait, but we will try our hardest to make sure that you get the home you need. If you are struggling to get a home in the areas you have chosen, it might be worth considering widening your search area. 

For more information, you can view Ore Valley Housing Association's Allocation Policy.


How can I get a transfer to another property?

You can complete a Fife Housing Register application form, this application form will be processed by the FHR team and awarded point based on an assessment of your housing need.


Can I swap my property with another person?

All Housing Association and Council tenants have the right to mutual exchange with each other. There are some requirements tenants must meet, such as being up to date with their rent. For more information read our mutual exchange policy. If you would like to apply for this, please contact the office and we will help you through the process. You should also sign up to Fife Council's HomeSwap scheme which is available to all tenants with a Scottish Secured Tenancy in Fife. 


What's the difference between Social Housing and Mid-Market Rent?

Mid-Market Rent is a nationwide initiative that was created to ease the social housing crisis. It is designed to fit in between social housing and private rent. So basically, there's no lengthy waiting lists like there is with social housing, and the rent is cheaper than private rental. Mid-Market Rental properties do cost substantially more than social housing - our two bed properties cost on average £145 more a month, so when considering a Mid-Market Rent property, you do need to think about whether or not you can afford it with your family's budget.


Return to top



Housing Management FAQs

Can I have a pet?

You are allowed to have one pet unless you live in a flat where your will require our written permission. If you have more than one pet you will require our written permission. Please view our Pet Policy.


Can I make alterations or improvements to my home?

You can make alterations or improvements to your home, however you must inform us in writing before you start any work. This will allow us to complete any inspections that may be required before we make a decision about giving you permission to proceed. In some cases you may be entitled to claim back some of the expense if, after you have carried out the improvement, you decide to leave your home. Please contact us on 01592 721 917 for more information.


Can I have a satellite dish installed?

You can get a satellite dish installed, however you will need our permission and you will be responsible for its future maintenance and safe removal if you decide to leave. If you live in a flat and want to install a satellite dish installed, please contact us so that we can offer the correct advice. You may need to seek permission from Fife Council or we may have already installed a communal aerial that will meet your needs.


I would like to report Anti-Social Behaviour.

When talking about Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB), we use the definition as defined by the housing charity Shelter. "Anti-social behaviour occurs where behaviour by one household or individual in an area threatens the physical or mental health, safety or security of other households or individuals." (Scottish Affairs Committee, 1996: para.3).

You can report ASB in writing - Ore Valley Housing Association, 114-116 Station Road, Cardenden, KY5 0BW, by telephone - 01592 721917, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or in person at our office. Complaints should be acknowledged within three working days of receipt, unless the situation demands an immediate response from either the Housing Manager or the CEO. You can also report ASB to the police using their non-emergency phone number of 101.

For more information please read our ASB Policy.


Return to top



Other FAQs

How do I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint by phone on 01592 721917, by e-mail us on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or by writing into at 114-116 Station Road, Cardenden, Fife KY5 0BW. You can look at our complaints policy here.


I am homeless, how can you help me?

We do not have a statutory responsibility to house people that require temporary accommodation, this service is provided by Fife Council. If you find yourself homeless then you can access the Fife Council services on 03451 55 00 33. For help or advice out of hours or at the weekend, please call the Homeless Emergency number on 0800 028 6231. Check out our Useful Contacts page for links to further resources.


How do I end my tenancy?

Notice to terminate your tenancy must be given by completing a termination form, which can be accessed here or a form can be sent out by calling or e-mailing us. There is a compulsory 4 week notice period.


Can I buy the home I live in?

The Right to Buy ended for all Housing Association and Council tenants on the 1st August 2016.



Return to top